Bella Taha (5).png


Surprising my Parents

Two posts in one week? I know! Don’t get used to it. I didn’t get to write this yesterday because there was so much I had to do. Lucy had an appointment at her veterinarian yesterday morning, then I had to mail her prescription when I got home, before I had to work on a 500 words discussion for my class (that was due last night at midnight). I finished all that by 5 p.m., yelled “YES!” and promptly fell onto my bed and napped. I woke up about three hours later, had dinner, and carried out some chores.

Today, however, was less busy. Yay for Fridays! My professor canceled class so here we are!

Since last weekend, my brothers and I were secretly planning to surprise my parents with a visit from my middle brother, Omar (who lives in Colorado). My mom (and dad) hasn’t seen him in 5 months (which is super long for her). 

The plan was simple.

  1. My oldest brother, Adam, makes a reservation at a restaurant on Wednesday.
  2. He tells our parents he wants to take us out to dinner.
  3. We get dressed and ready. 
  4. Meanwhile, Kareem (youngest brother out of the three, but still older than me by 3 years) sneaks out of the house to pick up Omar and drop him off at the restaurant before returning home just in time.
  5. Then we would go to the restaurant and surprise my parents.

There was no way this plan would fail.

...Or so we thought. 

Omar supposedly landed at around 5:30 p.m., but he was getting off the plane at around 6. The most important thing was that Omar had to be at the restaurant before us. The reservation was at 6:30, but we had to leave at 6:15. So you could see how tight the schedule was.

At 6:00, my mother noticed Kareem was gone. In an attempt to seem innocent, I told her he went to Walmart. She had been so confused. Why Walmart? I’ll admit, it was not one of my best moments, but I didn’t know what else to say. Anyway, by that time, my mom said we had to leave in ten minutes. Then I got a message from Omar, who said he was leaving the plane and that we had to stall our parents for 5-10 minutes. Unfortunately, Omar took so long getting off the plane. At 6:22, we were still home as Adam and I were busy stalling our parents. By 6:39 p.m., my parents, Adam, and I had to leave the house. We couldn’t wait any longer.

The funniest thing though was that because Adam got to drive us to the restaurant, he got there even later than we anticipated. He was driving 35 mph on a road where the speed limit was 45. Not only that, but he caught every red light on the way there! He even missed the turn to the restaurant. I'm not gonna lie. I was impressed. He was pretty smooth. We arrived at the restaurant at exactly 7:00 p.m. and I was so relieved to find out that my brothers had made it before us (cue wiping the sweat from my forehead). The hostess (and Kareem) immediately walked us to the table that Omar was sitting at. AND... My parents were so surprised! It was so nice and I’m so glad that I could make my mom happy. She kept staring at him and hugging him, and I could feel the joy radiating off from her. (Unfortunately, all the photos we got were absolutely awful.)

I’m so happy that everything turned out great, despite ALL the obstacles we encountered that evening. I’m ecstatic that we were successful and that we could make our parents happy.

Thank you for reading, everyone!

Talk to you soon.


Alaa TahaComment